Newspaper Archive of
N. Warren Town and County News
Norwalk, Iowa
January 22, 2015     N. Warren Town and County News
PAGE 7     (7 of 12 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
PAGE 7     (7 of 12 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
January 22, 2015

Newspaper Archive of N. Warren Town and County News produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2022. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 N/Warren Town and County News Page Seven Rep. Gustafson Sworn in to the Iowa House Rep. Stan Gustafson (R-Cumming) signed the oath Norwalk Lions Club Soup Supper Norwalk Lions Club held a Soup Supper Thursda Jan. 15 and the following worked, donated product or money for the Norwalk Food Pantry. Donations-Marilyn Logue, Vicki Logue, Jim Watts, Fareway, Lynette Cipale, Mary Lou Reynolds, Linda Bussanmas and Norwalk Lions Club. Workers were Lad and Jane Gierstorf, Linda Echelmeyer, Mary Lou Reynolds, Jim Watts, John Dagenais, Andrea Johnson, JoAnn Chapman, Ed Chapman and Linda gussanmas. The Soup Project was successful with a total of 40 bags distributed to clients in need. Co-chairs were Ed Chapman and Linda Bussanmas. Food Pantry donations can be made at any time. If you would like a list of items that go into the bags for distri- ..... bution each week, call 979-8757. Donations can be ...... lii i i i!iiii!i!i iii!i!iiiiii : !i dropped off Wednesdays from 4:15-6:30 p.m. at the Food Pantry located at New Life Lutheran Church. Your of office in the Iowa House chamber as the 86th General Assembly kicked off Monday, Jan. 12, at the Capitol. During the session, Gustafson can be reached at stan.gustafson@legis.iowa.gov or through the House switchboard at 515-281-3221. The swearing-in ceremony of all 100 state representatives began a week of ceremo- nies, including the condition of the state address by the governor and the condition of the judiciary address by the Iowa Supreme Court chief justice. A full slate of com- mittee work begins as well, as bills begin the process it takes to get them to the House floor for full debate. The legislative session is slated to last 110 days, ending May 1. Photo submitted, i~i~i~i ~:~ ~; ~,~i~4,~: service and contributions mean a lot to those families in need. Thank you for making it happen. The Norwalk Lions Club will be doing an Easter Breakfast Project for the Norwalk Food Pantry. If you would like to make a cash donation, contact Linda Bussanmas at 979-8757. Parent Co!ing In-Floor ~ Geothermal Heating "Insured & Certified" SALES - SERVICE -- P~E~L/kGF_MEN~ BATHROOM REMODEL and Nutrition Classes Iowa State Extension and Outreach Family Nu- trition Program Assistant Sara Tessmer will be pro- viding a cooking and nu- trition class for expecting parents, parents with chil- dren ten years old or younger and childcare pro- viders needing CACFP crddits in the surrounding Madison County area. This eight-week workshop will introduce new ideas to get families to be more physi- cally active, eat appropri- ate amounts from the food groups and enjoy a healthier lifestyle. Tessmer will advise par- ents on money saving practices at the supermar- ket and tips on eliminating food waste. She will also instruct on how to make easy, low-cost meals to in- troduce to those stubborn, picky eaters. Through food demonstrations and tastings, those who attend this series will pick up ef- ficient, healthy habits while strengthening their family relationships by sit- ting down for a meal and connecting with those they love. Free recipes, tastings and incentives will be pro- vided at each class. Two offerings of this program are available in the Warren County area. Classes in the Martensdale-St. Marys area will be offered Tues- days, Feb. 17-April 14 from 6:30-8 p.m. at the St. Marys School Library. Offerings in Indianola will be Mon- days, March 2-April 27 (no class during Spring Break) from 12:30-2 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church. To register for the series or for more information, contact Tessmer at 515-249-5987 or stessmer@iastate.edu. Winter Poses Increased Risk of CO Poisoning Carbon monoxide - spend more of their time ers to learn to recognize known by the chemical indoors in buildings the warning signs of car- abbreviation CO- is a col- heated by natural gas, pro- bon monoxide poisoning orless, odorless, toxic gas pane, wood stoves or fire- and take steps to protect created any time carbon- places. According to the themselves and their fami- based fuels are burned. Centers for Disease Con- lies from this silent killer. Because you can't see it, trol, more than 400 Ameri- Here are some tips for re- smellit or taste it, you may cans die each year fromducing your risk of carbon be overcome by carbon unintentional CO poison- monoxide poisoning this monoxide before you even ing and more than 20,000 heating season: realize you've been ex- end up in the emergencyBe alert to signs of CO posed to it. room due to exposure toexposure. The initial Winter is the peak sea- carbon monoxide, symptoms of low to rood- son for carbon monoxide MidAmerican Energy erate CO poisoning are poisoning, since people Company wants custom- similar to those of the flu: Se ools Val] , to Jordan ,reek, downtown, and the alrp rtl ! ! iiyn Brown ,John Akers Ma .'t headache, fatigue, short- ness of breath, nausea and dizziness. As the concen- tration of carbon monox- ide in the bloodstream in- creases, the victim may vomit and exhibit drowsi- ness, mental confusion and loss of muscular coor- dination. Exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide may lead to loss of con- sciousness, convulsions, cardiac or respiratory fail- ure and, ultimatel death. If you suspect CO poison- ing, get outside into fresh air immediately and then call 911. Install CO detectors in your home. Have at least one detector certified by Underwriters Laborato- ries installed on each level of your home. These de- vices sound an alarm be- fore a dangerous level of carbon monoxide is reached. If you halve a plug-in model, be sure it has a battery backup so tl at it keeps working in the event of a power out- age. Change the batteries once a year. Have your heating sys- tem and other fuel-burn- ing appliances checked annually. Properly in- stalled and maintained equipment decreases your chance of being exposed to carbon monoxide. A quali- fied professional will run through a checklist make sure your furnace and appliances are operat- ing. safely and efficiently. Periodically check vents, flues and chimneys to make sure they aren't blocked, which can cause exhaust gases to back up into the house. Never operate portable Concluded p. 9