"
Newspaper Archive of
N. Warren Town and County News
Norwalk, Iowa
Lyft
February 25, 2016     N. Warren Town and County News
PAGE 1     (1 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 1     (1 of 16 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
February 25, 2016
 

Newspaper Archive of N. Warren Town and County News produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2022. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




OFFICIAL NEWSPAPER FOR NORWALK COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT ~MA ..L OWN !:.V,, -"E R S /. 21 :," WEST CC)TA '::;r SHE!. TON vV~ c,,--~- ~ -~-~-~ ,, , ,,,'..~,JL~G!--Z.X.~,.,j Norwalk Warriors Vol. 47 No. 41 Norwalk, Iowa 50211 USPS No. 395-120 Phone 981-0406email: news@norwalknewspaper.com Thursday, February 25, 2016 A K-12th Grade Christian School Notice of Regular Meeting Start Time The March regular school board meeting at Norwalk Coming to Norwalk Community Schools will start at 6 p.m. Monday, March A new Christian school serving students in grades 7. The meeting will be held at the Lakewood Elemen- K-12th grades is coming to Norwalk for the 2016-2017 tary School Cafeteria. The meeting has been moved up school year. Fellowship Community Church is launch- one week to accommodate Spring Break on the School ing and hosting the start of Norwalk Christian Acad- Calendar. Regular meetings normally start at 6 p.m.on emy, but why--when there are already good public the second Monday of the month and are held at the schools in Norwalk? It is true that Norwalk already has Lakewood Elementary School Cafeteria. some of the best academic schools in the state of Iowa, so this option for parents and students has to do with Local Sales something else What, then? up[Ion The Bible gives the answer this way in the book of Tax Vote is W' ,-1., Proverbs 9:10, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of .ues.ay wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understand- Sent from Warren County ing." This is therefore not a question of academic rigor, Economic Development Corp. but one of starting places. A Christian school starts with An important vote will be before voters throughout God and His view of the world and builds wisdom and Warren County Tuesday; March 1. Citizens will be given knowledge on top of that. Therefore, Norwalk Chris- the opportunity to vote on a 1% local option sales tax tian Academy is not competing against the public that could result in $2,864,323.00 of revenue for the en- schools in Norwalk, but is rather a viable option for fami- tire county. lies who want the Bible to be the primary source of train- The following is a summary of how each community ing and education of their child and all other books to plans to utilize funding, if passed: be secondary. WARREN COUNTY (unincorporated areas) I Est. What will be some distinctions of Norwalk Christian Revenue= $1,175,372.74 Academy? Use: 25% of funds designated to property tax relief, Small class sizes (minimum of 8 to a maximum of 75% to the construction of a new courthouse/jail. Once 18 students) project is complete, 75% will go towards property tax Bible and Christian worldview interwoven into the relief and the remainder towards any public project of whole day lawful purpose Challenging academic coursework teaching grade INDIANOLA I Est. Revenue = $815,592.97 level mastery of skills Use: 100% of funds raised would be used to assist in "Specials" including Art, Music, P.E., Spanish funding a new wastewater treatment plant. Passage of classes, and field trips a local option sales tax would replace an estimated in- .Inaugural K-5th reduced tuition price of $2,500 crease of 46-54% increase in the wastewater rates. ($100 registration and $240 monthly payment from CARLISLE I Est. Revenue = $218,982.21 August 2016-May 2017) for 2016-2017. NOTE: Elemen- Use: 50% Street and sidewalk improvements, 50% tary school pricing. Public Safety (Police/Fire/EMS). For more information, Hot lunch option available please click here Before and after care available on site for reduced NORWALK I Est. Revenue = $454,604.83 cost Use: 25% would be utilized for property tax relief For the first year of the school, students in K-5th and 75% to costs related to the construction and/or re- grades will be in regular classroom settings with class- habilitation and operation of public safety, public works, room teachers. Students in grades 6-12th grades will street maintenance and any other lawful purpose. be in a classroom environment with an adult classroom ACKWORTH I Est. Revenue -- $4,074.61 monitor, going through a nationally accredited online, Use: Any lawful purpose private Christian school called "Northstar Academy LACONA I Est. Revenue = $ 21,545.84 (NSA)'. This program offers a complete academic and Use: 90% to streets, sewer, and water improvements. diploma-granting program with the option of dual cred- Remaining 10% towards any lawful purpose its at local public schools available. NSA is accredited BEVINGTON I Est. Revenue = $232.37 by AdvanceEd through the regional office of the South- Use: 50% property tax relief, 50% any lawful pur- ernAssociation of Colleges and Schools (SACS-CASI). pose An opportunity to come and investigate whether MILO I Est. Revenue--$44,181.37 Norwalk Christian Academy is right for your family is Use: 50% towards waste water treatment facility and being provided Wednesday; March 2, 2016. Families are 50% to General Fund asked to RSVP to nca@fccnorwalk.org if they are corn- CUMMING I Est. Revenue = $17,451.82 ing to this Discovery Night and note the number of Use: Any lawful purpose people coming for supper. The evening will begin with HARTFORD I Est. Revenue = $45,242.47 a meal, so come between 5:30-6:15 for a FREE pizza sup- Use: Any lawful purpose per. Tours and activities for everyone will be from 6:30- MARTENSDALE I Est. Revenue = $ 25,433.16 8 p.m. Use: Any lawful purpose If you would like further information about any of NEW VIRGINIA I Est. Revenue = $ 26,105.18 these things, check out NCA's website at www.ncaia.net Use: Any lawful purpose or call Pastor Philip Herman, NCA Interim Director, at ST. MARYS I Est. Revenue = $ 7,018.07 515-422-4386. Use: Any lawful purpose SANDYVILLE I Est. Revenue -- $ 2,649.81 Use: Any lawful purpose SPRING HILL I Est. Revenue = $ 3,279.49 Use: Any lawful purpose ** Warren County is one of only seven counties in Iowa Peace-that was the other name for home. that has not taken advantage of this opportunity to cap- -Kathleen Norris Concluded p. 13 Prospective Hotel Project for Norwalk An informational meeting about a prospective hotel project in Norwalk will be held Monda) March 7, at Echo Valley Country Club, 3150 Echo Valley Dr., begin- ning t 5:30 p.m. Learn about the outcome of the hotel feasibility study and receive information about the AmericInn brand. You will have a chance to meet the developer and discuss the project timeline and investment opportunities. f By Tom Phillips Hello. I am writing this week to try to inform you about the upcom'mg penny sales tax vote March 1. On December 17, City Council passed a revenue statement that indicated how the sales tax revenues would be al- located. For Norwalk, we're going to use 25% of this new revenue to lower property taxes. The other 75% will go to costs associated with public safety, public works, street maintenance and/or any other lawful pur- pose within the city. This is a county wide vote and the tax will be distrib- uted based on population from the most recent census and taxes levied from 1982 thru 1985. According to state law, there is no sunset on this penn: unless the citizens of the county add it to a ballot and repeal it. Food items are exempted, as are cars and farm equipment. What does this mean for Norwalk? If passed in Norwalk, and throughout the county, Norwalk will start receiving approximately $450,000 the first year the penny is collected. So, according to the city's revenue purpose statement, the overall property tax burden in Norwalk will be reduced about $112,500. Your council members will need to determ'me priorities on how to allocate the remainder of these funds. while I cannot encourage you how to vote, I can tell you that we believe this could be a vital revenue stream for the City of Norwalk and it could be used to fund general obligation bonds in the future, which would be much better than funding bonds against property taxes. More information is available on the homepage of the City's website at www.norwalk.iowa.gov. Medicare Seminar At Norwalk Library "Welcome to Medicare," a free seminar offered by the State of Iowa's Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) and Warren Courrty SHIIP, is Thurs- day, March 3, from 5 to 7:30 P.m. at the Norwalk Easter Library, 1051 North Ave. : Registration--is required by Friday; Feb. 26, b calling 515-962-5375. "Welcome to Medicare" will provide information about Medicare Parts A & B benefits, Prescription Drug Benefits (Part D), Medicare Advantage Plans and Medi- care Supplement Insurance. SHIP is a service of the State of Iowa. It does not sell or promote any insurance companies, policies or agents. -411- .,,q[ , 8-- P